Wednesday, February 17, 2016

"Je Vue Ta Figure Dans La Lune (I Saw Your Face In The Moon)" - Louisiana Rounders

Joe Werner formed several groups throughout the 1930s including this one called the Louisiana Rounders.  The group consisted of Wayne Perry on fiddle and occasionally Julius Papa Cairo Lamperez on steel guitar.  Werner played guitar and harmonica together on the recording of "Je Vue Ta Figure Dans La Lune (I Saw Your Face In The Moon)" in Dallas, Texas on Decca records (#17039) in 1937.

J’ai vu ta figure dans la lune, cher,

T’as fait des beaux yeux après moi,

Wayne Perry
Ta prétendiez que étiez heureux, cher,

Mais dans tes yeux je pouvais voir.



T’après cacher des idées de jours passés, cher,
Moi et toi c’est fini,
Moi je peux voir ta figure après dépeinte dans le ciel,
Moi, j’ai vu ta figure dans la lune, cher,
J'ai vu ta figure dans la lune.

The tune is sung by Joe Werner's wife who accompanied the group during this session.   It's a Cajun rendition of the popular Odis Elder country tune called "I Saw Your Face In The Moon" covered by many artists during 1936 and 1937 such as Jimmie Davis, Cliff Bruner, and Ray Whitley.   Later, it would become famous again with Webb Pierce's version.
I saw your face in the moon, dear,
You made beautiful eyes at me,
You pretended that you were happy, dear,
But in your eyes, I could see.
Papa Cairo

After hiding your thoughts, days passed, dear,
You and me, it's over,
I can see your face depicted in the sky,
I saw your face in the moon, dear,
I saw your face in the moon.

  1. Lyrics by Stephane F
Find:
Cajun: Rare & Authentic (JSP, 2008)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you really enjoy your music posts and your informative blog .

    ReplyDelete

Got info? Pics? Feel free to submit.