Wednesday, December 2, 2015

"Pleur Plus' (Don't Cry)" - Columbus Fruge

Columbus Fruge (or Frugé) was from Arnaudville, Louisiana, a town in the St. Landry and St. Martin parishes in south-central portion of the state. Neither his birth date or his death date have been recorded. Virtually no details of his life exist, other than the fact that he began playing accordion as a child and was performing around his hometown by the age of eleven. 
Hé, yaille! chère 'tite fille, t'es la fille de la veuve que moi, j'aimais.
Moi (z) aujourd’hui, dans la traîne dans les chemins, chérie.

Chère, t'es partie de mourir moi tout seul là bas à la pointe noire.

Yé yaille, tu connais, toi tu me fais des misères, j'suis parti m'en aller.

Hé, toi tu marches pour ton nég', te connais ce ton nég' est parti, s'en aller si longtemps.

Hé, canaille.

Pourquoi tu me fais les misères!

In 1929, Frugé traveled to Memphis, Tennessee where he recorded four sides for Victor Records including "Pleur Plus' (Don't Cry)", (#22206).  In the song, he be referring to Pointe Noire, a locale not for from Fruge's home in Arnaudville, Louisiana.
Hey, yaille! Dear little girl, you're the daughter of the widow I loved,
Today, I'm lagging behind down the road, honey,

Dear, you left me to die by myself over there in the black point.

Ye yaille, you know, you make me miserable, I'm going to go.

Hey, you're walking towards your old man, you know your old man left to go so long ago.

Hey, mischievous one.

Why do you make me miserable!





  1. http://theanthologyofamericanfolkmusic.blogspot.com/2010/02/saut-crapaud-jump-frog-columbus-fruge.html
Find:
Cajun Country, Vol. 2, More Hits from the Swamp (JSP, 2005)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got info? Pics? Feel free to submit.