Monday, July 23, 2018

"Fais-Do-Do Breakdown" - Happy, Doc and the Boys

The earliest independent recording producer of Cajun music was Joseph Denton "J.D." Miller.  Miller had acquired a large building for his electrical repair business he started alongside his father-in-law, Lee Sonnier.   In the back, he used the extra space to sell records and music gear.   After traveling to Houston to purchase a tape recorder, he felt confident enough to use it record local Cajun musicians, although mostly unsure of his technique:
I think I was helped by my electrical background. It wasn't technical as far as audio, but I had a sense of something. I didn't go by the book because I went by these two things: my ears.  I've had so many compliments about the sound I got. People asked me how I did it and I said "I really don't know".3

J.D. Miller

However, Miller felt confident enough to record Happy Fats and his group and have the recordings sent to California for pressing.  "Fais Do Do Breakdown" (#1004) was allegedly recorded at their second Miller session in Miller's own studio, sometime around October of 1946.  As J.D. pointed out:
"Fais Do Do Breakdown" was a name we gave it after it was recorded.  Many Cajuns don't really have a name or, should I say, they have different names.  They were generally known as French waltzes or French two steps.  Of course there were some exceptions.  However, most of the names of songs recorded by me were named by me after being given the lyric story of the song.1
Happy Fats, Al Terry, Dudley Leblanc
Doc Guidry

Miller must not have realized much of Doc's melody was borrowed from the Breaux Brother's 1929 recording of "Vas Y Carrement".  Regardless, it's an impressive display of Oran "Doc" Guidry's swing fiddle style he brought into Cajun music. As the fifties drew near, the Happy Fats and Doc Guidry radio shows were required listening throughout Acadiana.2 Both Happy Fats and Doc Guidry would push Cajun music into the local and rural areas using all the means necessary.  According to J.D. Miller:
Happy Fats, through his radio and television programs and his personal appearances, has done more for Cajun and South Louisiana music and musicians than anyone I've ever known and cannot praise him too highly for what he has done.1







  1. Fais Do Do Breakdown - Volume One - The Late 1940's.  Liner notes.
  2. South to Louisiana: The Music of the Cajun Bayous By John Broven
  3. Record Makers and Breakers: Voices of the Independent Rock 'n' Roll Pioneers By John Broven
Release Info:
-A Fais Do Do Breakdown | FDD F1004-A
-B Chere Cherie | FDD F1004-B

Find:

Fais Do Do Breakdown - Volume One - The Late 1940's (Flyright, 1986)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got info? Pics? Feel free to submit.