Friday, June 7, 2019

"Point Clear Blues" - Columbus Fruge

In 1928, Victor successfully tried their hand at marketing and recording Cajun music to the country. With the success of selling these recordings to eager buyers in south Louisiana, they turned again in 1929 to Leo Soileau to bring in a new batch of old songs along with a few new accompanying musicians such as young St. Landry accordionists Moise Robin and Columbus "Boy" Fruge.  The trio, along with their sponsor and Opelousas jewelry store owner Frank Dietlein, left for Memphis, TN in 1929 by train and together they recorded several songs for Victor's Ralph Peer A&R representative. According to Deitlein*,
In the grand ballroom in the Claridge Hotel, where the Victor company did their recording, the four of us entered and were greeted by a fellow by the name of Ralph Peer. I believe that he was president of the Southern Music Publishing Co., which specialized in recording Southern folk songs.  When we walked in, we were introduced to the late Jimmy Rodgers, whose records at the time were selling by the thousands.  Blue Steel, a noted orchestra leader at the time, was leading his band while recording the favorite tune of the day, "Girl of My Dreams."*1  
Claridge Hotel
Memphis, TN

The group couldn't contain their excitement and memories of their shenanigans in the hotel remained with Robin:
Leo Soileau and "Boy" Columbus Fruge were the others on the trip. I'll never forget while we were in the hotel in Memphis, [Frank] told me that there was a long distance call for me from Mr. John Speyrer in Leonville. Latter, I found out that it was Leo Soileau in the next room who had disguised his voice by speaking with a towel over the phone mouth piece.4   




Mais, chère 'tite fille, mais, chère 'tite fille, comment ton nègre va faire,
L'hiver est là, l'hiver est là, ton nègre a pas de couverte.

Moi l'aime les filles, moi l'aime les femmes et moi l'aime les plus belles veuves.

Moi l'aime cousin, moi l'aime cousine et moi l'aime la bonne cuisine,
Moi mange des dattes, moi boire 'tit verre, tout ça, ça coute (pas) rien,
Moi, tout le monde, lundi matin, moi tout manière malade,
Va prendre le verre, mais, pauvre 'tit monde, l(u)i verse d'la limonade.

Ton nég(re) est malade!



Columbus "Boy" Fruge

Pointe Claire is a small community in St. Landry parish along HWY 347, between Leonville and Arnaudville, not far from where Fruge and Robin lived.  However, when Peer and the other Victor engineers heard the name of the song, they wrote down "Point Clear Blues" (#22206), sometimes known as "Chanson de Limonade" or "Mon Cher Cousin".  On his second attempt at recording the song, the three recording engineers got out some cotton which they put in their ears.  They, apparently thought that the stomping and the accordion music was too loud.2  By the 1940s, it became other tunes such as Jimmy Choates' "Petite Negress" and Leroy Broussard's "Lemonade Song".  For years, Leroy claimed he wrote the tune, however, Moise Robin, who was there during Fruge's session, knew better.
I went to Lafayette one night and met Leroy Broussard at a saloon while at the bar drinking a few beers. He came over and introduced himself. I was glad and we started a good conversation. He said, "you made some records?"  "Yes," I answered, "and you too?" Leroy said, "Yes, I made Passe Moi Le Verre De Lionade."  "Aw, " I said, "It's not you who made that; it's [Columbus] 'Boy' Fruge who made that in 1929."  But Leroy said, "I tell you it's me who made the record."  I told him, "You're wrong!"  He got angry.  I said, "Okay, but someday I might find 'Boy' Fruge's record , and even if I have to go to your home, I'll find out where you live and I will show you that it's not you who made that record.3  
Clarion News
Sep 12, 1929

Well, dear little girl, well, dear little girl, how will your man do this,
Winter is here, winter is here, your man doesn't have a blanket.

I like the girls, I like the women and I like the most beautiful widows.

I like my cousin, I like my other cousin and I like good food,
I eat dates (nuts), I drink a little glass, all that, it costs nothing,
I, with everyone, Monday morning, I'm sick all the way,
Go take the glass, well, poor little fellow, he'll pour the lemonade.

Your man is sick!







  1. Daily World (Opelousas, Louisiana) 28 Oct 1965, Thu Page 4
  2. Daily World (Opelousas, Louisiana) 13 May 1971
  3. "Ye Yaille Chere, Traditional Cajun Dance Music" by Raymond E. Francois.
  4. Daily World (Opelousas, Louisiana) 08 Nov 1967, Wed Page 4
  5. Lyrics by Stephane F and 'Hormisdas'
*NOTE: Although Frank Dietlein's recollection of event details are conflicting with Victor recording session documentation, a decision was made to leave the interview quote in the article without corrections.

Release Info:
BVE-55541-2 Pleur Plus' (Don't Cry) | Victor 22206-A
BVE-55543-2 Point Clear Blues | Victor 22206-B

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got info? Pics? Feel free to submit.