Wednesday, October 9, 2019

"Trois Jours Apres Ma Mort" - Soileau Couzens

Just as fiddler Leo Soileau was hitting his stride with accordionist Moise Robin in 1929, the partnership faded away.   Leo returned to his roots, establishing a contract with RCA Victor and convincing his talented cousin Alius Soileau to join him for a recording session in New Orleans.   Together, they were billed as the Soileau Couzens.   It was his first attempt at performing commercially as a fiddle duet.

Eh, toi, 'tite fille, 

Viens me rejoindre là bas à la maison.


Hé, dans trois jours après ma mort, 
Tu vas venir à la maison te lamenter de moi.

Hé, 'gardez donc, 'tit monde, 
Fais pas ça, ta maman va pleurer.

Hé, viens 'vec moi là bas, 
T'en vas dire à ta maman c’est pas rien.

Hé, toi, 'tite fille, 
Moi, je connais, tu ferais mieux pas de faire ça, yaie.


Leo Soileau

"Trois Jours Apres Ma Mort" (#22578), recorded by Leo and his cousin Alius on vocals, seemed to be a waltz-style version of the melody known as "Bayou Pom Pom".  Roy Fuselier remembered Alius' playing style,

When my brother got married, he stopped playing completely.  I got myself another player, one named Alius Soileau, a good violin player known in the territory, Leo Soileau's cousin.  He's an old violin player raised at Durald, near me.  Hey, he's a man who gives a good sound on the violin. Prettier than Leo.2   

Fiddler Canray Fontenot remembered both of them,
Alius Soileau, he could play the fiddle good, yeah. He was Leo's first cousin.  But, he just liked to play when he wanted to play. He'd come to the house, in the back of Basile.1   

Hey you, little girl, 
Come join me over there at the house.

Hey, in three days, after my death,
You will come to my house and you'll lament about me.

Hey, so look here, my little everything,
Don't do that, your mom will cry.

Hey, come back with me over there,
You are going to tell your mom it's nothing.

Hey, you little girl,
I know, you better not do that, oh my.





  1. http://arhoolie.org/canray-fontenot-interview/
  2. Ye Yaille Chere by Raymond Francois
  3. Lyrics by Stephane F
Release Info:
BVE-56502-1 Quand J'Ete Seul Hier | Victor 22578-A
BVE-56504-1 Trois Jours Apris Ma Mort | Victor 22578-B

Find:
Le Gran Mamou: A Cajun Music Anthology (CMF, 1990)
Cajun Early Recordings (JSP, 2004)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got info? Pics? Feel free to submit.