Wednesday, April 15, 2020

"Oakdale Waltz" - Chuck Guillory

Murphy "Chuck" Guillory was one of Evangeline Parishes most popular Cajun string band fiddlers of the 1950s.  Backed by Jimmy Newman and Papa Cairo, he teamed up with local accordion player Milton Molitor for a 1950 session for record producer J.D. Miller in Crowley and recorded the song "Oakdale Waltz" (#1014).

It was named after the Oakdale Club in Oakdale, Louisiana but for researchers, there's some mystery to why Chuck's name is so prominent on the label.   According to Dorothy Pitre, wife of Austin Pitre:


There were members of the Chuck Guillory band on the recording, but Chuck Guillory did not play on that record.  It was my husband Austin.  Austin and Milton often played together in the late 40s and early 50s.1


Hé, moi, depuis je m'là envoyer, 

Hé, à ma maison, moi, tout seul, bébé.



Oh, yaille, yaille, bébé,

Hé, ma jolie, mon seulement, chère.



Oh, yaille, petite, tu casse le cœur,
Hé, quoi je connais, (qui) peut croire s-en tout ça, chère
Ah, t'as fait aujourd’hui z-avec moi,
Hé, quitte-moi m'en aller à maison aller mourir.

Hé toi, comment m'en aller à ma maison, 
Hé, quoi j'vas dire à pap et mam, yaille, 
Ay yaille, yaille, quoi t'as fait,
Hé, moi j'connais tu vas m'faire mourir, bébé.
Oakdale Journal
Mar 18, 1948

Dorothy also thinks that the record was recorded by someone other than J.D. Miller, perhaps by a traveling record company.  According to author Lyle Ferbrache:
Our best guess is that Milton Molitor is playing with Chuck Guillory's band without Guillory.   Was Guillory's name used by mistake?1
Later, Austin would re-record the tune with his own band, calling it the "New Oakdale Waltz" and Leroy Broussard changed the lyrics in his well-known "B.O. Sparkle".  

Yet, Chuck admitted to record producer Chris Strachwitz that he actually did record with Milton. If Chuck truly is on this recording, one should ask, "Where's the fiddle?"  Sadly, Milton didn't leave much of a recording legacy.



Hey, since I was sent over there,

Hey, to my house, I'm all alone, baby.



Oh, yaille, yaille, baby,

Hey, my pretty one, I'm lonely, dear.



Oh, yaille, little one, you broke my heart,
Hey, what I know, who can believe all that, dear,
Ah, what you've done today to me,
Hey, let me go home to go die.

Hey, how am I going to go to my home?
Hey, what am I going to tell my dad and mom?
Ay, yaille, yaille, what have you done?
Hey, I know you are going to kill me, baby.









  1. Lyle Ferbrache.  Acadian All Star Special - The Pioneering Cajun Recordings Of J.D. Miller. Liner notes.
  2. Lyrics by Jordy A

Release Info:
-A Oakdale Waltz | Feature F-1014-A
-B Walfus Two Step | Feature F-1014-B

Find:
Grand Texas (Arhoolie, 1998)
Acadian All Star Special - The Pioneering Cajun Recordings Of J.D. Miller (Bear, 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got info? Pics? Feel free to submit.