Tuesday, July 7, 2015

"Madame Sostan" - Lawrence Walker

After WWII, many Cajun musicians that had recorded earlier in the century found a new interest in the songs they had heard and played earlier.  Lawrence Walker was one of those musicians that had recorded briefly in the 1930s, but was prepared to start all over again covering some of the tunes he loved.  One of these tunes would be an old Joe Falcon original called "Madame Sostan" (#624).

Oh Madam Sostan, mais, donnez moi Alida, 

La seul moi j’aimée, mais depuis l’age de quartorze ans,

(Vous) voulez pas m'la donner, j'vous serment j'va la voler,

J'va la passer dans la fenêtre et l’mener à ma maison.


Oh Madame Sostan, mais donnez moi vot’ chère tit fille,
La seul moi j’aimée, mais, ce tout temps, mais, tout ma vie,
(Vous) voulez pas m'la donner, j'vous serment j'va la voler,
J'la passer dans la fenêtre et l’mener à ma maison.
Sosthene Falcon and Josephine Trahan

Having been friends with Joe and his family, he would often take time out to care for their daughter, Loula.  Over time, he would remember the songs they made famous in the early years and re-record them.  

Oh Madam Sostan, well, let me have Alida,

The only one I've loved, well, since the age of fourteen,

If you don't give her to me, I swear, i'm going to steal her,

I'll climb through the window and carry her to my house.


Oh Madam Sostan, well, give me your dear little girl,
The only one I've loved, all this time, my whole life,
If you don't want to give her to me, I swear, i'm going to steal her,
I'll climb through the window and carry her to my house.

Based on the 1934 "La Valse de Madame Sosten", the song deals with Josephine Trahan's daughter, Alida, who is the love interest of a much older man. In Lawrence's version, he begs her parents to have her, even at the point of elopement (taking her through the window).  Josephine was the wife of Joe's uncle Sosthene Falcon Sr. and to this day, the origin of this lover mentioned is unknown. 




  1. Lyrics by Jerry M and Bryan L

Find:

Cajun Honky Tonk: The Khoury Recordings Vol. 2 (Arhoolie, 2013)

2 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful song, it became one of my favorites as soon as i heard it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this and wallace cheese reed juiced it up

    ReplyDelete

Got info? Pics? Feel free to submit.