Friday, August 14, 2015

"Lifetime Waltz" - Aldus Roger

Aldus Roger and the Lafayette Playboys came to the forefront in the 1950s and hosted their own television show on KLFY in Lafayette from 1955 to 1970.  Roger, who played accordion and had other band members do the singing, developed a reputation for superb musicianship, inspiring critics to write comments like "set the standard for the modern traditional Cajun dance hall band" and "No one plays an accordion with better timing and with more perfection". 

Ah Yea!

J’ai condamné pour quatre-vingt-dix-neuf ans, tite monde,

J’ai condamné, chere tit fille, pour tout ma vie, chere,

Tu connait, c’est pas ma fault tu dit comme ça, tite monde,

Pour savoir pour quartrevignt dix neuf ans, tite fille.


Oh, observe moi bien tit fille,
Jamais encore, chere tit monde, tu va m’voir tite fille,
J’ai partie par par rapport a tes manieres, tite fille,
J’ai condamné pour quatre-vingt-dix-neuf ans.



Released in 1953 (some sources state 1956), it seems to be an issue done by Eddie Shuler.  TNT was the closest label he knew of that would press his releases.  According to author Lyle Ferb:
Although Eddie had both Folk-Star and Golband in the late 40's he still had to go out of the area to get his records pressed.  I think NY was his main source,... sometimes Memphis.  I think the TNT deal was for convenience.  Bob Tanner, owner of Tanner N Texas, was looking for records for his label and knowing Eddie, he probably had the money. More than likely, Eddie got the records pressed for free. In exchange, Tanner got his name on the label, which brought more artist and producers to San Antonio including Virgil Bozman.  Eddie got to distribute the records.  I am sure none of the artists ever got a penny.
Raymond Cormier(?), Aldus Roger,
Fernest "Man" Abshire

First recorded as "L'Abandonner" by Bartmon Montet & Joswell Dupuis in 1929, "Lifetime Waltz" (#106) was a rendition of an old Amede Ardoin tune known as "Le Valse Ah Abe". In the song, he mentions how his lover will never see him again. However, it's possible the phrase is "jamais encore, chère 'tit monde, tu vas me r'joindre, petite" which means "they'll never get back together again".  However, the TNT releases never sold well and the melody later became the more famous tune by Iry Lejeune known as "Convict Waltz" or "La Valse De Quatre-Vingt-Dix-Neuf Ans" in 1954.



I have been condemned for 99 years, my little sweetheart,

I have been condemned, dear little girl, for a lifetime, dear,

You know, it's not my fault, i'll tell you that, my little everything,

Found out it's for 99 years, my little girl.



Oh, pay good attention to me, my little girl,
Never again, dear little girl, will you see me, my little girl,
I'm leaving because of your ways, my little girl,
I have been condemned for 99 years.

Bob Tanner of TNT had several Cajun releases but the lable was short lived.  Considered one of the more difficult post-war recordings to find, it shows off some of the earliest talent in Aldus' band.





  1. Cajun and Zydeco Dance Music in Northern California Modern Pleasures in a Postmodern World By Mark F. DeWitt
  2. Lyrics by Jerry M, Bryan L and Marc C

Find:
Hot Rod Cajun. Vol 2. (Zeaux)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this is really beautiful. It's a variation on the 99 Year Waltz I've never heard before. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Got info? Pics? Feel free to submit.