Saturday, November 21, 2015

"Lemonade Song" - Leroy Broussard

LeRoy Broussard was another popular Cajun accordion player during the 1940s.   He had played with Chester "Pee Wee" Broussard. According to Mr. C.J. Broussard, LeRoy was the first Cajun accordionist to play dances standing up contrary to the credit given the late Austin Pitre. C.J., who is said to have owned eleven night clubs, hired LeRoy Broussard to play at his B.O. Sparkle Club in the early 1950's. What brought all this about was that LeRoy would play his accordion when at home often lying in bed! Mr. C.J. asked him how long he could play standing up and the reply from LeRoy was 'as long as you want'. Mr. C.J. Broussard had LeRoy play his dances standing up from then on. 2

Moi j'aime cousin et moi j'aime cousine mais j'aime mieux la cuisinière.  

Samedi, ce soir, moi courir au bal, je m'ai saoulé comme un gros cochon. 

Dimanche matin, il est tout manière malade,

Passez lui le verre à limonade.



L'hiver arrive, l'hiver arrive, ton p'tit nég a pas de couverte,

Samedi, ce soir, l'ai courir au bal, je m'ai saoulé comme un gros cochon,

Dimanche matin, j'ai tout manière malade, 

Passez moi le verre à limonade.



Moi j'aime cousin et moi j'aime cousine mais j'aime mieux la cuisinière.  

Samedi, ce soir, moi courir au bal, moi saoulé comme un gros cochon. 
Dimanche matin, il est tout manière malade,
Passez moi le verre à limonade.

Moi je bois du vin et moi je mange des dattes, et tout ça, ça me coute pas rien,
Samedi, ce soir, l'ai courir au bal, je m'ai saoulé comme un gros cochon,
Dimanche matin, j'ai tout manière malade, 
Passez moi le verre de Kary-On.
Leroy Broussard

In 1957, Leroy entered Eddie Shuler's studio and recorded "Lemonade Song" (#1048), a tune Columbus "Boy" Frugé recorded as "Point Clear Blues" for Victor Records in 1929.  Some rumors claim that "Blackie" Dartez wrote the song for Leroy.  The reason for this was the fact that Blackie had already recorded the tune with Jimmy Choates and the Melody Boys band back in the late 1940s entitled "Petite Negress".  In Leroys' version he replaced Hadacol with Kary-On. "Kary-On" was a popular elixir similar to Hadacol.  It was launched by Louisiana state senator Dudley J. LeBlanc after he sold off his "Hadacol" brand to a syndicate on unwary Yankee investors.
I appreciate my cousin, appreciate my cousin, but I prefer the cook,

Saturday night, I went to the dance, I got drunk like a big pig,

Sunday morning, I wasn't feeling well,

Pass me a glass of lemonade.



Winter comes, winter comes, your old man isn't inside,

Saturday night, I ran to the dance, I got drunk like a big pig,

Sunday morning, I wasn't feeling well,

Pass me a glass of lemonade.



I appreciate my cousin, appreciate my cousin, but I prefer the cook,
Saturday night, I ran to the dance, I got drunk like a big pig,
Sunday morning, I wasn't feeling well,
Pass me a glass of lemonade.

I drank wine and ate dates, and all that, it didn't cost me anything,
Saturday night, had to run to the dance, I got drunk like a big pig,
Sunday morning, I wasn't feeling well,
Pass me the glass of Kary-On.
Daily Advertiser
Apr 22, 1951

For years, Leroy claimed he wrote the tune, however, other musicians, such as Moise Robin, knew better.
I went to Lafayette one night and met Leroy Broussard at a saloon while at the bar drinking a few beers. He came over and introduced himself. I was glad and we started a good conversation. He said, "you made some records?"  "Yes," I answered, "and you too?" Leroy said, "Yes, I made Passe Moi Le Verre De Lionade."  "Aw, " I said, "it's not you who made that; it's [Columbus] 'Boy' Fruge who made that in 1929."  But Leroy said, "I tell you it's me who made the record."  I told him, "You're wrong!"  He got angry.  I said, "Okay, but someday I might find 'Boy' Fruge's record , and even if I have to go to your home, I'll find out where you live and I will show you that it's not you who made that record.3  

In 1991, at a jam-session at the Friendly Inn, Lafayette, Louisiana, he dropped in to play a few songs with his friends. He played four numbers and stopped playing complaining of weakness. He died three days later at his home in Carencro, Louisiana.




  1. http://www.discogs.com/artist/2522099-Leroy-Broussard
  2. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=14306583\
  3. Ye Yaille Chere by Raymond Francois
  4. Image by UL Cajun and Creole Collection
  5. Discussions with Bryan L and 'Bassman'

Find: 
Cajun Dance Tunes Vol.2 (Goldband, 1989)

2 comments:

  1. Columbus Fruge recorded Point Clear Blues in 1929 for Victor and it was released on Victor 22206 (the other side to Pleur Plus' that you have already featured). It's rhythmically similar to Saut Crapaud, but it seems to be the basis for the Lemonade Song. I can't make out the French lyrics, but I hear the same verse where Fruge says something like "mon l'aime cousin, mon l'aime cousine, et mon l'aime [unintelligible]" and then "mon tout le monde le dit matin, mon tout maniere malade, mon pas(?) le vin et porte moi 'tit vere de lemonade."
    I apologize for butchering the language (clearly I don't speak French), but the gist of it seems identical to Broussard's version. I know it doesn't make sense as I hear it, but maybe you can understand more of the words.
    http://npmusic.org/Columbus_Fruge_Point_Clair_Blues.mp3

    ReplyDelete

Got info? Pics? Feel free to submit.